The National Repertory Orchestra offers experiential learning on the ins and outs of an orchestra and a thriving career in the Arts! Spend a summer with our artistically minded team in Breckenridge, CO and build your on-the-ground, professional experience.
The Library Fellow will get hands-on experience preparing music materials for NRO rehearsals, chamber music activities, and performances. As an integral part of the orchestra, you will get to dive deeper behind the scenes while being a key contributor to the day-to-day functions of a longstanding and continually expanding library.
An ideal candidate has a positive attitude, is even-tempered, is a problem-solver, and can communicate effectively with musicians and conductors.
The Library Fellow can expect to work in a fast-paced team environment and will finish the fellowship having gained a broad understanding of non-profit operations and the daily functions of the orchestra library. The Library Fellow is expected to work closely and effectively with the Principal Librarian, Assistant Librarian, Music Director, Guest Conductors, Director of Operations, and Orchestra Manager to ensure clear communication regarding library information among the staff and clear dissemination of information to the orchestra.
Why You Will Love the NRO:
The NRO is an inclusive organization dedicated to teamwork and a highly communicative atmosphere. This professional workplace encourages interaction, synergy, positive feedback, and goal-oriented individuals, all working together to enhance the future of classical music and the Arts.
Our vision is to break barriers between education, performance, and community to develop 21st-century musicians!
What You Will Do:
- Assist the Principal Librarian and Assistant Librarian in the daily functions of the orchestra library
- Mark and bow parts
- Maintain library catalog
- Prepare and distribute practice parts
- Receive and inventory new acquisitions and rental music
- Provide parts to string principals and/or conductors for bowing masters
- Set the stage prior to rehearsals and concerts
- Determine orchestration needs
- Create page-turn inserts
- Inventory all library and trade holdings
- Assist with pre-season and post-season set-up, and break-down of all music library equipment
- Potential to serve as assistant librarian for orchestra concerts
- Supervise assignments of six library bowing assistants (musician work-study)
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous music library experience is preferred but not required
- Ability to read music is required
- Must be able to handle confidential situations with an even-tempered and professional approach
- Must work well under pressure, prioritize effectively, and be detail-oriented
- Ability to lift, move or transport up to 40 pounds, climb stairs, and acquire music from overhead shelving with our without accommodation
- Must be able to supply your own computer
- Above all, must have a positive attitude and be a team player
- FREE employee/fellowship housing in Breckenridge
- Weekly food stipend
Your Time in Breckenridge:
The fellowship will begin on Tuesday, June 7, 2022, with the last working day on Thursday, August 18, 2022.
Breckenridge Arrival: Monday, June 6, 2022 / Breckenridge Departure: Friday, August 19, 2022
How to Apply:
Prepare a one-page resume along with a cover letter and a list of at least three references complete with their contact information and relationship to you. Send to email@example.com by Friday, February 4, 2022, at 5:00 PM, MST. Please type “Library Fellow” in the subject line.
The National Repertory Orchestra is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and celebrates our employees’ differences, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, ability, or Veteran status.